Dear Seattle fans, don’t bring your defensive concerns to veteran linebacker K.J. Wright.
The Seahawk is entering his eighth year with the organization, and despite the makeover Seattle’s defense will get entering the 2018 season, Wright isn’t worried. In fact, he knows the squad — whoever it is made of — is ‘hungry.’
“Which is more dangerous, a fed lion or a lion who’s hungry?,” Wright said after practice earlier this week, via USA Today. “This defense is hungry. There’s so many guys that want to prove themselves, whether it’s contracts, whether they want to prove they can be a starter in this league — so many guys are on a mission.
“I think that as we won a Super Bowl, had guys going to Pro Bowls — I won’t say the hunger left, but we’re just bringing it back to its former level.”
The defense, famously known for its Legion of Boom, is now without cornerback Richard Sherman and strong safety Kam Chancellor — Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril have also left Seattle. All the while free safety Earl Thomas is still holding out in hopes of contract negotiations. Preseason is right around the corner for the Seahawks, who will host the Colts on Thursday.
Wright, a 2016 Pro Bowl selection, finished 2017 with 108 combined tackles — good for 17th in the NFL. The only other Seahawks who finished higher was fellow linebacker Bobby Wagner. Wagner will be entering the third year of his four-year contract with Seattle, where he’ll earn a base salary of $10 million.
“You see everything come full circle,” Wagner said, via USA Today. “I remember when I first walked into the doors and guys like Kam were still considered the young guys — you watch them become the old guys. Now me and K.J. are the old guys. I think it’s fun and an exciting challenge.”