The Jimmy Garoppolo contract has introduced out the dangerous opinions. Right here is Shaun King reviving a First Issues First graphic evaluating Jimmy Garoppolo and Colin Kaepernick.
Look, I’m absolutely on board with the “it’s dumb that Colin Kaepernick isn’t within the league when groups are signing scrubs” viewpoint. However there’s a big chasm between Colin Kaepernick is higher than most backups, and “the important thing piece of proof about injustice is Garoppolo’s contract.”
Jimmy Garoppolo, like most quarterbacks that occur to develop into the subsequent to be touted as the very best paid QB, had good timing. (And, by the best way, a portion of that is damage-solely assured, identical to Colin Kaepernick’s contract was–keep in mind when he received a reported 6-yr, $one hundred ten million deal simply 4 years in the past?) Garoppolo is an upcoming free agent, didn’t begin many video games behind Tom Brady, and simply received traded to San Francisco. The various, and a path that the 49ers didn’t need to go down, was franchising him and going the Kirk Cousins route.
Now, to that graphic. You’ll be able to provide you with stats to say what you need. Let’s break down their final 6 video games.
- Jimmy Garoppolo was traded mid-season and had no coaching camp with the workforce and began a couple of weeks later, Kaepernick was there all season;
- That 6 video games was actually 5 for Garoppolo, he got here in on the finish of a recreation within the ultimate minute when C.J. Beathard received harm;
- Which signifies that, in yards passing per begin, Garoppolo was at over 300 whereas Kaepernick was at 217 per recreation;
- The distinction wasn’t on account of passing quantity. Garoppolo threw 178 passes to Kaepernick’s 169 over that point. The yards per try distinction (the #1 indicator) is big, eight.eight versus 6.5 in favor of Garoppolo;
- Garoppolo additionally took method fewer sacks and removed the ball, and eliminating the ball and sack price is a quarterback talent. Kaepernick was sacked greater than twice as a lot as Garoppolo (whereas the opposite quarterbacks–Brian Hoyer, C.J. Beathard, and Blaine Gabbert–have been all within the center between the 2 in sacks). A quarterback who takes sacks and avoids interceptions could have a comparatively higher QB score, which is how they’re equal there. A quarterback can keep away from interceptions by holding the ball and taking sacks, however it exhibits up in scoring;
- Which, by the best way, closely favors Garoppolo (28.eight factors per begin) over Kaepernick (17.5).
- Oh, and the San Francisco 49ers went 5-zero after a 1-10 begin with out Garoppolo, whereas the 49ers went 1-5 in Kaepernick’s last 6 begins, after a 1-9 begin.
I might go on, however the fundamentals are this. The cherry-picked stats present them to be comparable. Actuality didn’t. The 49ers scored far more, gained far more, and appeared like a harmful staff in beating three playoff groups on the finish of final yr, after barely with the ability to win a recreation all yr with scrub quarterbacks (the type you may legitimately say “why are they enjoying over Kaepernick?). That they had at the least 360 yards of offense in each Garoppolo begin, one thing they managed in solely three of the primary eleven video games.