The 2018 NFL Draft is 5 weeks from tomorrow, and after an enormous commerce within the prime six, we’ve obtained some modifications. This was our Tremendous Early 2018 Mock Draft; we made a few modifications in August. Our mid-season Mock Draft was in October. We additionally had an finish-of-season Mock Draft in January. Henry McKenna wrote Mock Draft 5.zero earlier than free company. Reminder: We will solely brag about our 2017 Mock Draft accuracy for an additional month.
1. Cleveland – Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming. Browns GM John Dorsey acquired Hue Jackson a bridge QB in Tyrod Taylor, and he will get his excessive-upside, no-rush QB within the burly, huge-armed child from small city California. I don’t purchase the Allen/Wentz comparisons, however by all accounts, Dorsey loves Allen.
2. NY Giants – Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State. Eli Manning is simply 37; his brother performed till he was forty. Tom Brady is forty one in August. The Giants simply obtained Eli a franchise left deal with. They made the playoffs two years in the past. Barkley and Odell Beckham give the Giants the third greatest younger RB/WR tandem within the NFL behind Devonta Freeman/Julio Jones and Le’Veon Bell/Antonio Brown.
three. NY Jets – Sam Darnold, QB, USC. Can be a dream state of affairs if this truly occurred, and it’s not out of the realm because the Giants should deal with Eli with child gloves. Choice B, if Darnold and Allen are gone: Rosen, clearly. If Darnold and Rosen are gone, I’d take Barkley. Not saying the Jets will, however I might.
four. Cleveland – Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State. Chubb is one of the best move rusher within the draft. The Browns have a choice – secondary right here, or a man who can add to the move dashing depth of Myles Garrett and Emmanuel Ogbah. This draft has extra high quality CBs than it does cross rushers.
5. Denver – Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA. Sure, John Elway is speaking a great recreation about Case Keenum. As he ought to. I consider Elway loves Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield, however he gained’t cross on Rosen right here.
6. Indianapolis – Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame. Commerce down with the Jets they usually get extra picks and one of the best lineman within the draft to guard Andrew Luck. The Colts can fortify their protection within the second spherical with three picks, concentrating on move rushers like Ogbonnia Okoronkwo from Oklahoma or Sam Hubbard of Ohio State.
7. Tampa Bay – Derwin James, DB, FSU. Backside 5 secondary by many metrics has quickly-to-be 35-yr previous Brent Grimes at nook. James is plug-and-play, and sure, I’ve him forward of Minka Fitpatrick proper now. The Bucs have been final within the NFL in sacks, and I wouldn’t be stunned if Tremaine Edmunds was in play right here.
eight. Chicago – Minka Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama. Let’s cease all of the Fitzpatrick/Jalen Ramsey speak. They aren’t the identical participant. That’s not a knock; Ramsey is one of the best nook within the NFL. Fitzpatrick would be a part of forces with Kyle Fuller, playmaker Eddie Jackson, and newly-signed Prince Amukumara to type a strong, albeit younger, secondary.
9. San Francisco – Tremaine Edmunds, LB/DE, Virginia Tech. The 49ers appeared to strike gold with Rueben Foster sliding within the draft final yr (their first three picks have been defenders); now he’s been arrested twice. They signed Malcolm Smith in free company at assist at LB. Edmunds solely turns 20 in Might.
10. Oakland – Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia. By each statistical measure, the Raiders protection was backside 5 within the NFL. Smith and Khalil Mack on the identical protection? Look out. There’s an enormous want at WR, however I don’t assume Gruden bites on Calvin Ridley, right here, although Gruden did like to draft offense when he ran the present in Tampa Bay.
eleven. Miami – Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma. Harmful match together with his character and South Seashore, however there’s a necessity for a QB with Ryan Tannehill nearly accomplished in Miami.
12. Buffalo – Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State. It’ll be fascinating to see if Ward passes Fitzpatrick down the stretch. Two Buckeyes – Marshon Lattimore and Joey Bosa – have gained the final two Defensive Participant of the Yr awards. Ward isn’t fairly on Lattimore’s degree – but.
thirteen. Washington – Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa. Calvin Ridley could possibly be in play for the Redskins right here, however it’s not a main want, not with Jamison Crowder, Josh Doctson and newly-acquired Paul Richardson. The entrance seven, when wholesome, ought to be improved. Dropping CB Bashaud Breeland in free company makes the secondary a should-repair.
14. Inexperienced Bay – Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida. The run on cornerbacks continues. The Packers traded Damarious Randall to the Browns, after which went after Kyle Fuller, however have been unsuccessful. It’s clear there’s a void within the secondary, and Hughes fills that. I don’t assume his forty-time is scaring anybody.
15. Arizona – Conor Williams, LT, Texas. I don’t assume Mike Glennon or Sam Bradford are the long run reply, however I’ve heard nothing but linking Lamar Jackson to the Cardinals, so I move on a QB right here. Arizona has drafted 5 DBs within the final two years, which can be a purpose apart from cash they’re snug dropping Honey Badger.
sixteen. Baltimore – Billy Worth, C, Ohio State. Sure, that is too excessive for a middle, however when your QB appears to be taking a step again, and his offensive line was beat up final yr, and he misplaced his middle to Tampa … perhaps you attain a bit. Maybe the Ravens attempt to commerce down, however they’ve acquired to focus on a middle early within the draft.
17. LA Chargers – Rashaan Evans – LB, Alabama. I can’t recover from how, within the largest recreation of the season, needing a win to get into the playoffs, the Chargers let Kareem Hunt rush for one hundred fifty five yards. Denzel Perryman – who was injured in that recreation – wants assist, and Evans could possibly be the man. This appears a tad excessive for Evans, however the offense is nicely-stocked.
18. Seattle – Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville. The signing of DJ Fluker in all probability means they don’t go OL right here. No workforce suffered greater identify losses than Seattle: Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett and Jimmy Graham. However Seattle additionally misplaced CBs Jeremy Lane and DeShawn Shead. The #2 WR may be Jaron Brown, so there’s a have to improve the place after dropping Paul Richardson in free company.
19. Dallas – Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama. Dez Bryant, you’re on discover. The Cowboys have an enormous want at WR. The secondary has query marks, however they’ve drafted six DBs within the final three years, maybe a number of take the leap this yr.
20. Detroit – Marcus Davenport, Edge, UTSA. The Lions anemic move rush after Ziggy Ansah (12.5 sacks) was an issue. Davenport would change that instantly. Sure, Matt Stafford will demand a operating again within the 2nd spherical (and doubtless get it).
21. Cincinnati – Vita Vea, DT, Washington. The thirtieth ranked run protection within the NFL (127.9 ypg) will get assist for Geno Atkins within the type of Vea, an immovable All-American.
22. Buffalo Payments – Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville. Let’s simply say Brian Daboll’s play-calling plus Jackson’s capacity might actually be one thing thrilling in 2019 or 2020.
23. LA Rams – DJ Moore, WR, Maryland. The lack of Sammy Watkins (39 catches, 593 yards, staff-greatest eight TDs) takes away a deep menace for Jared Goff. Moore ran a four.forty two on the Mix.
24. Carolina Panthers – Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M. After Saquon Barkley, there is probably not a greater participant in area on this draft than Kirk. Carolina’s prime WRs are Devin Funchess and Torrey Smith. Kirk and Christian McCaffrey will terrify defenses.
25. Tennessee Titans – Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama. The 4th stingiest run protection (88 ypg) misplaced two DTs and an ILB in free company. Their 2nd main rusher (DeMarco Murray) and third main WR (Eric Decker) are gone. Of their place, Dion Lewis and … they’ll be taking a look at a receiver within the 2nd spherical.
26. Atlanta Falcons – Taven Bryan, DE, Florida. The Falcons misplaced two starters up entrance in free company, in order that’s an anticipated goal right here. Bryan is one other riser out of the Mix.
27. New Orleans Saints – Leighton Vander Esch – LB, Boise State. There’s a necessity within the entrance seven, and Vander Esch is a sleeper whose identify you’ll hear extra of within the coming weeks. The Eagles are stated to need him badly at 32.
28. Pittsburgh Steelers – Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama. There’s a serious want at linebacker with Ryan Shazier injured and probably by no means returning to soccer. However there isn’t certainly one of worth right here. Harrison might be going to fall into the 2nd spherical, however having launched security Mike Mitchell, there’s an absolute have to plug that gap.
29. Jacksonville Jaguars – Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State. With Marcedes Lewis gone, and the Jaguars parting with two receivers, there’s going to be an enormous want for a decent finish, and Goedert is the perfect of a skinny school crop.
30. Minnesota Vikings – Harold Landry, Edge, Boston School. The perfect roster within the NFL seems to be to 2019, when impression starters Danielle Hunter, Eric Kendricks, Brian Robison, and Anthony Barr are all free brokers.
31. New England Patriots – Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina. With Martellus Bennett gone, and Rob Gronkowski unsure of his soccer future, Invoice Belichick tries to seek out some of the essential positions in his offense.
32. Philadelphia Eagles – Isaiah Wynn, LT, Georgia. With anchor LT Jason Peters now 36 and coming off an damage, they want insurance coverage on the OL. I feel it’s a tossup on whether or not Wynn or Notre Dame’s Mike McGlinchey are the 2nd greatest LT on the board.