Angry cricketers could derail revolutionary new 100 balls-a-side tournament before it gets going

CRICKET’S revolutionary, new 100 balls-a-side tournament could be blown out of the water if angry players refuse to play.

Most of England’s 420 professionals are frustrated and in the dark about how the event will work when it begins in 2020.

 England skipper Joe Root will not be available for the new tournament

Getty Images – Getty
England skipper Joe Root will not be available for the new tournament

ECB chief executive Tom Harrison and tournament supremo Sanjay Patel tried to ease their fears during a meeting with representatives from the 18 counties at Edgbaston yesterday.

But they failed to provide much fresh detail.

Players cannot understand why the ECB will abandon the successful Twenty20 for the ‘Hundred,’ which is untried and sounds gimmicky.

The governing body say they do not want a like-for-like rival to the existing T20 Blast but, if the players are militant, they could be forced to revert to a T20 format.

 Professional Cricketers’ Association chairman Daryl Mitchell insisted a strike was on the cards if concerns are not explained

Getty Images – Getty
Professional Cricketers’ Association chairman Daryl Mitchell insisted a strike was on the cards if concerns are not explained

Worcestershire’s Daryl Mitchell, chairman of the Professional Cricketers’ Association, said: “There’s no competition without any players, is there?

“As a union, we’d have to feel very strongly to go completely against it. But we need more details, we need to canvas opinions.

“One of the huge concerns is the timeframe. Here we are, two years out, and the ECB don’t officially have a format that is set in stone. The drafts, general managers, pay bands… there’s an enormous amount of unanswered questions.

“We don’t even have a timeframe when we’re going to get those answers. The lack of consultation was frustrating for our members.”

 The Caribbean Premier League could lure big stars away

Handout – Getty
The Caribbean Premier League could lure big stars away

Eight new City-based teams are expected to have a £1million pay cap each, meaning top players could earn around £120,000 for the six-week event.

That might not be enough to entice the world’s biggest stars, especially as the event is due to clash with the Caribbean Premier League.

The tournament will not include the likes of Joe Root and Ben Stokes because England play Tests at the same time.

Mitchell added: “The ECB told us the new audience wouldn’t necessarily know who Joe Root and Ben Stokes are.”

 Mark Wood will quit the IPL to fight for his England Test place

Getty Images – Getty
Mark Wood will quit the IPL to fight for his England Test place

Jack Wilshere celebrates after he nutmegs Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

MARK WOOD has quit the Indian Premier League to try to keep his England Test place.

The Durham quickie, 28, will now play against Derbyshire on Friday instead of sitting on the bench with Chennai Super Kings.

He will give up a chunk of his £165,000 IPL fee.

Wood played in last month’s draw in New Zealand and is in contention for the First Test against Pakistan at Lord’s on May 24.

Meanwhile, spinner Nathan Lyon expects plenty of flak when the Aussies play a one-day series here in June following the sandpaper scandal.

Lyon, back in the 50-over squad after two years, said: “We’ll just have to stand out there and cop it.”

Tweet  @JohnSunCricket

CRICKET’S revolutionary, new 100 balls-a-side tournament could be blown out of the water if angry players refuse to play.