Red Sox slugger J.D. Martinez defended a controversial six-year-old Instagram post Tuesday, saying he “didn’t mean any harm” by it and he was advocating for the Second Amendment after the image resurfaced earlier this week.
“At the time I posted that, the Second Amendment at the time was definitely a hot topic,” Martinez told reporters (via ESPN). “The point of it wasn’t to offend anybody.”
A 25-year-old Martinez posted an image in 2013 of Adolph Hitler doing a Nazi salute with the caption: “To conquer a nation, first disarm it’s (sic) citizens.”
This is why I will always stay strapped! #thetruth
“I saw it and I posted it,” Martinez, now 31, said. “I had no intent to offend anyone, but it was mostly just to state a point — a political point at the time that I believe in. … I stand by the Constitution and the Second Amendment. It’s something that I take pride in, and it’s something that I’ll back up.”
Martinez redirected the focus back to the field and said he didn’t want this post from the past to be a distraction going forward.
“I don’t want this distraction,” Martinez added. “You guys are talking about something that happened six years ago. I posted it and that’s why I’m out here talking about it, but I’m worried about a championship. I’m worried about winning a championship. Everyone here has a right to their own political beliefs, and everybody has the right to stand by what they believe in. That’s what makes us American. We’re all not going to agree on the same things, but that’s what makes this country so great.”