Kurt Busch is leaving Stewart-Haas Racing after this season, along with primary sponsor Monster Energy, according to a report by Jim Utter of Motorsport.com.
According to the report, both Busch and Monster Energy will go to Chip Ganassi Racing’s No. 1 Chevrolet. Jamie McMurray, the current driver for that team, is in the final year of his contract and will not return, multiple sources told Motorsport.com.
However, Busch told reporters after qualifying Friday at Michigan International Speedway he has not yet signed anything for next season.
“I’m talking to a bunch of teams out there,” Busch said (via ESPN). “There’s nothing that’s been signed and whatever has been reported is all hearsay.”
Both Stewart-Haas Racing and Chip Ganassi Racing representatives declined comment on the report.
Busch, the 2004 NASCAR Cup champion, joined Stewart-Hass in 2014. He’s won five races with the organization, and qualified for the playoffs each season. The 40-year-old driver has 29 career wins in 19 seasons. He’s currently fourth in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup standings.
Busch told Motorsport.com last month he had not begun talks on an extension with Stewart-Haas, but he noted Monster Energy’s loyalty to him.
“I don’t know many drivers that have a primary sponsor with them. Monster Energy has been very loyal to me.” Busch said. “It’s just a matter of when the time is to start talking about a contract. Last year, it went long just because I felt I deserved more.
“The landscape is changing in NASCAR on primary sponsorship values, teams with the purse and the guarantee that they get off the historical performance. There are a lot of things that move, so we’ll see how it all comes together.”