Roger Federer withdraws from Rogers Cup with longevity in mind

federer-cropped
Swiss great Roger Federer (Getty Images)

World No. 2 Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Rogers Cup in a bid to ease his schedule.

Federer has twice won the tournament and reached the final last year in Montreal, but he will not participate in its latest edition in August in Toronto.

A quarterfinalist at Wimbledon, Federer, who turns 37 on Aug. 8, said in a release the decision was made with his longevity at the top of the game in mind.

“I had a fantastic time in Montreal last year and always enjoy playing in front of the Canadian fans,” Federer said. “But unfortunately, with scheduling being the key to my longevity moving forward, I have regrettably decided to withdraw from Toronto this year.”

Federer, who has played in just seven events in 2018, will look to end a 10-year wait for a sixth U.S. Open title in September