CHICAGO – The UFC returns for its next pay-per-view offering on Saturday as UFC 225 takes place from the United Center.
The main event was scheduled to be a rematch with Robert Whittaker (20-4) defending his middleweight championship against Yoel Romero (13-2). But at the weigh-ins on Friday, Romero came in at 185.2 pounds, making him ineligible to compete for the belt. The fight will still go on in the headlining position and as a five-round affair.
The co-main event features former lightweight champ and No. 2 ranked Rafael dos Anjos (28-9) battling No. 3 ranked Colby Covington (13-1) for the interim welterweight championship.
The card also sees the return of former WWE Champion CM Punk (0-1), who faces Mike Jackson (0-1).
Top to bottom, UFC 225 is the deepest card of the year. When you have two title fights, the return of Punk and an undercard highlighted by former champions Holly Holm, Rashad Evans, Andrei Arlovski and Alistair Overeem mixed with rising stars Curtis Blaydes, Megan Anderson, Tai Tuivasa and Sergio Pettis, it is a card you cannot miss.
Stay locked into Sporting News all day long as we will be inside the arena providing you with the blow-by-blow coverage.
(All time Eastern.)
UFC 225 results
3:37 p.m.: We are inching closer to the beginning of UFC 225. Here’s the final episode of “UFC Embedded”, which features the official and ceremonial weigh-ins.
UFC 225 fight card
- Robert Whittaker vs. Yoel Romero in a non-title fight due to Romero missing weight
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Colby Covington for the interim Welterweight championship
- Holly Holm vs. Megan Anderson; Women’s Featherweight
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Tai Tuivasa; Heavyweight
- CM Punk vs. Mike Jackson; Welterweight
- Alistair Overeem vs. Curtis Blaydes; Heavyweight
- Ricardo Lamas vs. Mirsad Bektić; Featherweight
- Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis; Flyweight
- Clay Guida vs. Bobby Green; Lightweight
- Cláudia Gadelha vs. Carla Esparza; Women’s Strawweight
- Rashad Evans vs. Anthony Smith; Light Heavyweight
- Rashad Coulter vs. Chris de la Rocha; Heavyweight
- Mike Santiago vs. Dan Ige; Featherweight
UFC 225 latest news
– Yoel Romero misses weight and can no longer battle for middleweight title.
– Robert Whittaker tells Sporting News why he was “very distraught” after UFC 221 pullout.
– Mike Jackson explains to SN that facing CM Punk is like winning the lottery.
– Want to watch UFC 225? Here’s everything you need to know about the event.
– CM Punk tells SN winning his first MMA fight will mean more than first WWE title.
– SN got a chance to be inside fight week with Whittaker’s head coach.
Steven Muehlhausen is an MMA and boxing writer and contributor for Sporting News. Subscribe to his You Tube channel here . You can email him at email@example.com and can find him on Twitter @SMuehlhausenMMA .