Conor McGregor is staying put for a while.
The UFC announced Thursday night that McGregor had signed a six-fight contract with the promotion that will begin when he fights lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov in the main event of UFC 229 on Oct. 6. UFC president Dana White incorrectly told ESPN on Thursday that McGregor had signed an eight-fight contract.
White said the deal could help the Irishman remain the highest-paid fighter in the sport.
“It’s not hard to do a deal with Conor McGregor because we know what he’s worth,” White told ESPN.
McGregor said at Thursday’s UFC 229 press conference in New York that his new whiskey, Proper Twelve, would be a sponsor for the event. White later confirmed that.
“You bet your bollocks it is,” McGregor said when asked if the liquor would be on the Octagon. “On the canvas. On the canvas. Like [Nurmagomedov’s] blood will be on the canvas.”
White told ESPN’s “Get Up” show earlier Thursday that UFC 229 was trending toward 2.5 million pay-per-view buys. That number would break the record set by the UFC 192 rematch between McGregor and Nate Diaz, which White said did about 1.6 million buys.
“It’s massive,” White told “Get Up.”
McGregor (21-3) will be fighting in MMA for the first time in 23 months, when he captured the lightweight title at UFC 205 in November 2016 over Eddie Alvarez to become the first fighter in UFC history to hold two belts simultaneously.
Nurmagomedov (26-0) won the undisputed 155-pound title at UFC 223, defeating Al Iaquinta. McGregor had been the champion but was stripped of the title because of inactivity.
This article has been updated with the UFC correcting the length of McGregor’s contract.