The second-to-last pay-per-view of 2018 for the UFC takes place on Saturday, Dec. 8 from the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto.
The main event features Max Holloway defending the featherweight championship for the second time as he squares with Brian Ortega.
Originally, Holloway and Ortega were scheduled to meet at UFC 226 in July. A couple of days before the fight, Holloway had to bow out because of what has been described as unknown health issues.
Holloway (19-3) competes for the first time in 2018 after defeating Jose Aldo by third-round TKO at UFC 218 in December 2017. “Blessed” was set to face Frankie Edgar at UFC 222, but couldn’t fight because of an injury. Then, he stepped up to the plate on six days’ notice to challenge lightweight kingpin Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223. But Holloway got pulled by New York State Athletic Commission, as the native of Hawaii was struggling to make weight. Holloway says he’s good to go for UFC 231 and ready to make a statement to close out 2018.
“I feel great and I cannot wait to get back inside that Octagon,” Holloway told Sporting News. “It’s time for everybody to remember who I am.”
Ortega (13-0, one no contest) last fought at UFC 222, stepping in for Holloway, to score a vicious first-round knockout of Frankie Edgar.
Holloway-Ortega is the best fight to make at 145 pounds and one of the best to make in the UFC. What a great battle to help close out the year.
(All times Eastern.)
UFC 231 date, start time
UFC 231 takes place on Saturday, Dec. 8. Pay-per-view coverage begins at 10 p.m. Holloway and Ortega should enter the Octagon around 12:15 a.m.
How do I watch UFC 231?
The main card on pay-per-view can be purchased for $64.99. For more information on how to order UFC 231, contact your service provider. You can also live-stream UFC 231 and order the main card on UFC.TV for $64.99.
Where is UFC 231?
UFC 231 will be held at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto.
UFC 231 betting odds
According to sportsbookreview.com (as of Dec. 4), Holloway is a -133 favorite, which means you’d need to bet $133 to win $100. Meanwhile, Ortega is a +105 underdog, meaning if you would bet $100, you would net $105.
Max Holloway record and bio
Name: Max Holloway
Born: Dec. 4, 1991
Reach: 69 inches
Total fights: 22
Brian Ortega record and bio
Name: Brian Ortega
Born: Feb. 21, 1991
Reach: 69 inches
Total fights: 14
Record: 13-0 with one no contest.
UFC 231 fight card
- Max Holloway (c) vs. Brian Ortega for Holloway’s Featherweight title
- Valentina Shevchenko vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the Vacant Women’s Flyweight title
- Alex Oliveira vs. Gunnar Nelson; Welterweight
- Hakeem Dawodu vs. Kyle Bochniak; Featherweight
- Jimi Manuwa vs. Thiago Santos; Light Heavyweight
- Cláudia Gadelha vs. Nina Ansaroff; Women’s Strawweight
- Katlyn Chookagian vs. Jessica Eye; Women’s Flyweight
- Eryk Anders vs. Elias Theodorou; Middleweight
- Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Gilbert Burns; Lightweight
- Devin Clark vs. Aleksandar Rakić; Light Heavyweight
- Brad Katona vs. Matthew Lopez; Bantamweight
- Chad Laprise vs. Dhiego Lima; Welterweight
- Carlos Diego Ferreira vs. Jesse Ronson; Lightweight